The Neverfull is undoubtedly one of the most popular handbags by Louis Vuitton. And, it’s no wonder – the LV Neverfull bag comes in 3 different sizes (GM, MM, PM) and damier or monogram canvas. So, what made me buy one? Is it really never full? Which size of Neverfull GM vs MM? Should you go with new or used? See my sizes comparison chart, the pros and cons, and of course, lots of photos of this amazing LV tote so you can decide.
What’s Covered in this Post:
- Neverfull Damier or Monogram
- LV Neverfull Sizes – GM MM PM
- Neverfull Sizes Comparisons
- The LV Neverfull GM Damier Ebene
- Is the Louis Vuitton Really Never full?
- A bonus: the Neverfull Wristlet Pochette
- Louis Vuitton Pricing
- Should I buy Louis Vuitton New or Used?
- Louis Vuitton Online Repairs
- Louis Vuitton Receipts
- Tips and Suggestions for Buying a Preowned Louis Vuitton
- Pros and Cons of the LV Neverfull
- Neverfull Pros
- Neverfull Cons
- My Love for Louis Vuitton Endures
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Neverfull is an iconic bag, and I see them everywhere I go. I bought mine in March 2017.
I already owned a few Louis Vuitton handbags, so I was looking for one primarily for travel.And later that month, I took it to Florida and the Caribbean as my carry-on and tote bag.
After that, it went on a few weekend trips and day trips with me. The Neverfull GM is the ideal size as a weekend bag.
As a carry-on, it works best on larger jets where it can stay upright under the seat, although I did lay it on its side on smaller jets and didn’t have any issues with items rolling out.
To learn more about the LV Neverfull bag, how it works as a tote, the sizes – MM vs. GM, Damier or Monogram, and my tips and suggestions for choosing one, keep reading…
Neverfull Damier or Monogram
This tote unites timeless design in an easy-to-carry bag. The LV Neverfull is a tote design with two thin straps and an open, reach-in design.
It has an interior metal clasp in the center which brings the sides together. But, the top does not zip or securely close.
LV Neverfull Sizes – GM MM PM
Those contemplating purchasing the Louis Vuitton Neverfull often wonder, “Which size should I get?” And I did, too!
On designer purse forums, I saw lots of forum posts by people who wondered which size they should get.
The nearest Louis Vuitton boutique is over two hours away from me. So, I wasn’t able to go in and compare them for myself. I had held and tried on the Neverfull tote on previous trips to the Louis Vuitton store, before but not recently.
Neverfull Sizes Comparisons
This helpful image below shows a model showing the different sizes bags: PM on the left, MM in the center, and GM on the right.
PM dimensions are 11.4x 8.7x 5.1 inches(Lengthx Heightx Width)
MM dimensions are 12.6x 11.4x 6.7 inches(Lengthx Heightx Width)
GM dimensions are 15.7x 13.0x 7.9 inches (Lengthx Heightx Width)
*All sizes are approximate.
The LV Neverfull GM Damier Ebene
While packing for our anniversary trip to the coast, I took the opportunity to discuss and show how much you can fit into the Neverfull GM.
I put everything I wanted close at hand, such as my iPad, Kindle, a jacket or sweater, my vitamins, snacks, and my smaller LV Favorite that I carried around while we were out and about.
You can see I packed for the weekend trip in the video below.
Above is a video I shared on my Instagram Stories.
Is the Louis Vuitton Really Never full?
The Neverfull GM is extremely roomy inside! As you can see from the video above, an organizer helps keep things organized inside this huge tote.
An organizer is also helpful for keeping items within view and easy to reach. Look for organizers that are made from wool or felt. Firm or hard interior organizers can cause the exterior corners to rub. This happened to me.
Because the Neverfull Damier is a roomy bag, it’s easy to overload. The straps are incredibly strong, so that isn’t a concern. But, they will dig into your shoulders from the bag’s weight. See more in my pros and cons below.
A bonus: the Neverfull Wristlet Pochette
The Neverfull tote bag comes with a wristlet pochette (French for “pouch”) that attaches with a clipped strap or leash to the inside of the bag. Some call it a wristlet because you can clip the strap back for wrist carry.
The strap leash also attaches to a small ring on the interior top left corner of the Neverfull.
If you’ve looked at used Neverfulls online, you might have noticed that most listings do not include the wristlet. There are a few reasons for this:
- One is that until 2014, Louis Vuitton did not include the wristlet pochette with the Neverfull.
- The second is that the pochette is pretty valuable on its own, and some owners sell the wristlet to offset the cost of the Neverfull.
- Lastly, some people don’t use the pochette. Since I stored mine inside the Neverfull, I’d forget about using it.
The pochette is good-sized. As I mentioned, it easily converts to a wristlet for on-the-go use.
And you can use it as a wallet. Because let’s face it – once you buy the purse, you will want a matching wallet. That’s an additional several hundred dollars.
Louis Vuitton Pricing
Louis Vuitton regularly raises their prices. And, why not when they are such popular bags?
For reference, when I bought my Neverfull GM in March of 2017, I paid $1,340 (USD). As of July 2021, that same bag is $1620. That’s an increase of $280 (or over 17%) in 3 years.
This brings me to my next topic.
Should I buy Louis Vuitton New or Used?
Should you buy Louis Vuitton items new or used? Let’s talk about the differences in buying new vs used.
I’ve purchased used Louis Vuitton bags twice and both were very positive experiences. What I received was exactly what I expected.
The first one was my LV Turenne MM, which I bought on eBay from a trusted seller. I had the bag authenticated from an outside source before buying it.
The Turenne was about 3 years old, and I saved about $300 on the cost of the purse. It was in very good condition and came with the dust bag and gift receipt.
Louis Vuitton Online Repairs
A year later, I took it to Louis Vuitton to have the leather tabs restitched. Since I had the receipt, they waived the repair fee even though the purse was about 4 years old.
My second preowned purchase was my LV Girolata, it comes in Damier Azur, in 2018. At the time, the Girolata was unavailable to purchase online. And, the inventory varies from store to store. I purchased it from a reputable, trusted seller and had the the Neverfull authenticated. My purchase came with the gift receipt.
Having the receipt came in very handy with this purchase.
This was the bag I used from April to September. When I took it out of the dust bag in 2020, I noticed a pink tint on part of the bag’s exterior. I thought it had color transfer.
Turns out the pink interior lining, called rose ballerina , was bleeding onto the coated canvas. After submitting photos of my bag and receipt to Louis Vuitton’s website, I was given full credit for another bag.
In October 2021, I used that credit towards a new Propiano.
Generally, if your bag is “defective,” they will repair it, replace it, or give you store credit. But, each situation is different and this isn’t a guarantee. I recommend you go to their online repair to go through the process.
How will you know whether you receive a brand new replacement or credit? It’s likely that if your bag has been discontinued (like my Girolata was), then you’ll receive store credit. Otherwise, they will repair or replace your bag.
Louis Vuitton Receipts
I am always a little skeptical when someone says they don’t have the receipt for their bag. Especially if it’s only a few years old. I’ll tell you why:
- If you’ve spent thousands of dollars on a purse, you should keep the receipt in a safe place.
- When you purchase a Louis Vuitton bag online, you can access the receipt online in your account at any time and print a new copy.
- You can also call Louis Vuitton to get a list of your purchases. It’s a bit of a process (they’ll want proof of your identity). But you can get it.
- When you buy a Louis Vuitton item in-store, they email you a copy of the receipt.
Tips and Suggestions for Buying a Preowned Louis Vuitton
- A receipt does not in any way assure authenticity. Receipts can be faked and reused.
- But, I recommend getting a copy of the receipt if you can, especially if the bag is less than 3 years old.
- Always get a used bag authenticated, even if the seller is someone you know and trust. Some services will do this for a nominal fee. See FAQs below on who I recommend. And, contrary to rumor, LV boutiques will not do this for you.
- If you buy a used bag online, use a credit card and payment service like PayPal that offers some buyer protection. Do not use PayPal’s Friends & Family to pay for luxury goods or expensive purchases.
- Buying expensive goods online from private sellers can be risky. Be sure that you feel that the risk equals.
- Have that the seller send the bag “signature required.” If you can, open it in front of a neutral third party. Last year, I had an expensive item stolen out of the box during transit. Thankfully, the delivery driver noticed that the box felt empty and I refused the delivery.
- Be smart about buying used luxury goods. Do your research. Get proof that they have the bag in their possession.
(These are my personal tips and suggestions, not to be confused with any type of advice)
Pros and Cons of the LV Neverfull
As an update to this post, I sold my Neverfull tote in September 2019. Although I used the Neverfull LV tote a number of times the first year I had it, it began to sit in my closet.
One of the reasons is that the LV Neverfull GM is huge! Although you can cinch in the top with the exterior straps, the bottom is still very wide.
Unfortunately, this also makes it easy to getting rubs on the exterior corners. And that happened with mine, even though I probably only used it a total of ten times.
Another reason is that when I traveled with the Neverfull, I had to limit what I put in the tote. If I added my MacBook, the straps would dig into my shoulders traveling.
You can buy covers from Etsy to go over the straps to make them more comfortable. And, if I’d loved the bag more, I would have used them.
The Neverfull is a beautiful LV bag, but it wasn’t practical for me. Possibly if I’d bought the MM instead of the GM, I would have kept it.
In 2019, I bought Louis Vuitton Zippered Flower Tote in MM (Monogram with noir black trim) to replace it. The Flower Tote is roomy enough for my MacBook and comfortable to carry. The inside is a soft suede, perfect for carrying a laptop or tablet.
- It’s a trendy LV bag instantly recognized as a Louis Vuitton.
- It’s perfect for carrying a lot of lightweight items.
- You can change the look of the Neverfull by cinching in the side straps.
- The pochette it comes with is very versatile and valuable to sell on its own.
- It works perfectly as a Mom bag, especially as a diaper bag, without actually looking like one.
- The MM size is probably the perfect, all-around tote.
- The Neverfull damier ebene has the worry-free brown leather trim.
- It’s a trendy LV bag – it seems like everyone has one!
- Without an interior organizer, it’s a bottomless pit.
- The LV Neverfull bag lacks structure, and the coated canvas is fairly thin. I’ve seen many photos of the bags being torn and ripped.
- It seems crazy to spend over $1500 for a tote that is coated canvas with very little leather on it.
- The vachetta leather trim on the monogram and damier Azur Neverfull bags darkens over time and water will leave spots.
My Love for Louis Vuitton Endures
I love handbags! Read about my history and love of them in my love of purses. And I especially love Louis Vuitton. I’ve tried other designer bags like Gucci, but keep coming back to Louis.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I tell if a Louis Vuitton item is authentic?
This is something left to professionals. I recommend Pro Authenticators (not sponsored) when authenticating luxury goods because I have personally used them. They are quick and inexpensive. The quickest way to get something verified or authenticated is to follow them on Facebook and send them a messenger message.
I purchased a new Louis Vuitton from their website, and don’t see a date code tag.
Louis Vuittonbegan using an RFID tag inside all leather items manufactured after March 1, 2021. Anything manufactured after that won’t have a physical date code tag, but an embeddedmicrochip
How can I find the date code tag on my Louis Vuitton?
The date tag can vary from item to item. This link can help you find the date code tag.
This post is not sponsored, though it does contain affiliate links. The views contained here are my personal opinion. Any services or products recommended are based on my own experiences. But, your own experience might vary from mine. Recommendations are based on what I consider to be best practices but are not an endorsement or guarantee.